Friday, July 30, 2010

Vacation - Colonial Williamsburg



With Ryan having the goal of visiting all 50 state capitols, it's really pushed me out of my 'comfort zone' on the whole vacation thing because we are now traveling to areas where we really know nothing about. Last year's trip to Michigan was WONDERFUL! This years trip to the Outer Banks was as well! I highly recommend Michigan and the Outer Banks area of North Carolina for a great vacation destination. But being the type that likes to get as much in as I can (my family refers to me as 'Force Marching' them when we are on vacation), I've tried to plan our vacations such that we can get in at least two state capitols while we're away. On this trip we were able to visit the capitols in both Raleigh, NC as well as Richmond, VA.

With that said, I had the great idea of also visiting Colonial Williamsburg while we were in Virginia. Not that I'd head a lot about it, but what I had heard was good - and it probably is for some folks, but it was really not a Hunter family thing at all. Now, it probably could have been had it not been so blasted hot that day and had it been the primary reason we were in Virgina, but in our case it just wasn't a good fit. For one it was just way more expensvie than I had anticipated. There were some other preconceived ideas too that just weren't quite right too - but maybe we can go back sometime when the girls are older and it's not so hot and humid.

So, for pictures from Colonial Williamsburg - this is the best I can do :-) I'm thinking I should have made a run for it while I could! Just kidding, just kidding!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I felt similarily about the place. We had planned on it being a big part of our trip though, so it was even more disappointing. :(

Courtney said...

We thought the same thing when we went there. I also remember it was so hot and just wanting to leave.

fleur de lis cottage said...

Oh,when I lived in Richmond, VA I used to go to Williamsburg in the fall...it's great that time of year!!

rachel garber said...

I really like that Ryan has that goal! I'm impressed with how many capitals you have been to - just warning you though, Phoenix isn't all that great. If you ever make it out here, let me know so I can tell you where to spend your time so you don't have another Colonial Williamsburg experience. And may I suggest Christmas break as opposed to summer? :)

rachel garber said...

And (sorry to comment again) - I love that you are the Force Marching. I have been called that too. When I travel, I pack as much in as humanly possible without dying. Happy to hear there is another like me out there!