Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Ryan off to Church Camp



This is Ryan's first year to be able to go to church camp. I still can't believe he's old enough to be able to go off for a whole week without me, but nonetheless the kids packed up and left yesterday. He is so excited about being able to go! The logical side of me knows full well he will have a wonderful time with his friends and having some freedom from us, but the emotional side of me misses my baby boy.

It's hard to believe he's 9, well almost 9 1/2 now - half way to 18. Sigh, where does all the time go?! It seems like only yesterday that we were in the hospital in Ft Worth and holding him up close. Brian likes to call me a sentimental mama goose, and maybe I am but I just can't help it. Recently I shared with my nephew, who happens to be a brand new daddy, how drastically your life changes after you have children. I told him about us sitting in the hospital room and holding Ryan and how I started to cry. Not tears of sadness, but tears of being absolutely overwhelmed with the love that I felt. You always think you know love, after all - you love your spouse, your parents, your siblings - but none of that comes close to the love you have for your children. Even though I had been baptized well before I had Ryan and thought I understood the love of our Heavenly Father, that one day in the hospital stands out because that day I realized that if God loves us just a smidgen of how I love Ryan then what an awesome & overwhelming love that must be.

Okay, I'm tearing up now ... back to work for me.

No comments: