Tuesday, January 29, 2008

More Birthday Stuff

Since Ryan's birthday always falls close to the MLK holiday, I always take him out for the day & let him pick and choose where we go and what we do. It's been funny over the past years to see what his choices would be and to find out the things that are important to him. One year I remember him asking to go out and eat "chicken fried steak", not that I ever remember him having it prior to that and especially considering he used to not like mashed potatoes - but nonetheless, that's what he wanted and that's what we had! Another year he wanted to go to the dollar store.

One year we went to the science museum and for a ride on the trolley. There's a funny story there. I think he had just turned 4 and riding the trolley was the main thing for the day. We caught one downtown and had only gone a few blocks when I could tell he was getting restless. It was my first time to ride it too, but at least I knew that trolleys start and stop, they let people on - they let people off. Well, it was a blistry cold, cold day and we were in a diverse group of people with some of them looking like they may be homeless. Anyway, we're riding along and as I said - Ryan is getting restless. About the 4th stop or so, he says in his really loud voice "THESE PEOPLE ARE WASTING MY TIME". Needless to say, we got off at the next stop and walked back to the museum.

No comments: