Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Grandma & Her Girls


Since my mom had bought the girls their dresses, I packed them for our trip to Oklahoma even though it wasn't Easter. I had planned on visiting my old church and I thought it would tickle my mom to see them dressed up in them! Please disregard the backdrop, a little construction going on back there.
It was nice visiting my old church, I have a very special affection for the pastor and his wife. When I think of her I always think of a specific incident where her actions spoke more than any sermon either of them could have ever preached. It's funny how one incident can stick with you for years and years. This particular story took place when I was in college.
There was a family in the community where I grew up that was very poor, and most likely had some mental problems too even though I don't think I really realized that until I was much older. They rode their bikes around town and to put it as nicely as I can, they just weren't very clean. They had started coming to church although I really do not remember how long they had been coming or really even if they came on a consistent schedule but I vividly remember a church dinner and them sitting at a table off by themselves. The pastor's wife fixed her plate and went and sat down with them and visited and visited with them. That one act of genuine kindness said more about her character to me than anything else ever could have and it also served as a reminder to me of how we should be.

2 comments:

Jodee said...

The girls look adorable in their matching dresses!

fleur de lis cottage said...

Love everyone in their black and white finery. And I love what you shared about the pastor's wife...that's a great example of being christ-like!!