Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Mackinaw City



We headed north to Mackinaw City after we left Lansing. I've mentioned before that we always try to find some kind of local cuisine when we are out and about we found something interesting next to our hotel "Mackinaw Pastie & Cookie Co.". I've never ever heard of them but goodness they were good! They refer to them as a 'balanced meal in a crust'. The little tourist thing we picked up said that they originated as a meal for miners of Cornwal, England than later Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Wives would bake meat and vegetables in a crust and wrap it in many layers of linens or newspaper for their husband's lunch. Yummy!

After the delicious lunch we were ready to head over to Mackinac Island but were hit with a torrential downpour. I had thrown in a couple of sweatshirts for the girls as we were leaving Kentucky, I'm so glad I did because it had been chilly in Saugatuck but it was really chilly in the rain waiting for the ferry over to the island. I couldn't help but laugh though because Ryan and Emma were pretty bummed about the weather and reminded me how they were looking forward to riding bikes on the island and all that good stuff but Rebecca, she was just enjoying the rain! Talk about making lemonade out of lemons!
Then this came into site ... we somehow missed it with some confusion on getting from the ticket office down to the dock ... and all kinds of rains. We made it down to the dock just as they blew their little fog horn thingy and backed away. Great. Thankfully another one was scheduled to come along.
And finally we were off for Mackinac Island!!! Everyone's sour mood had abated by then.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I wish I had known you were going to be up that way. There is a drive in with the best greesy hamburgers on the planet! Clydes, is just over the bridge, right after you get onto US 2, heading west. YUM YUM YUM!!! :)

Marla said...

I can not wait to go to Michigan and hear all about your exciting vacation!

Lori Lynn said...

Your vacation looks like a lot of fun. I think it's great that you're helping Ryan realize his goal of visiting the state capitols. My husband's cousin is the majority leader in the California Senate, so let me know if you come out this way. Maybe I can arrange a tour.

Courtney said...

Looks like you had a interesting trip. The food looks very interesting and sounds very yummy!